Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 

Who Are You - 3

Who Are You?

‘A while back a man obtained a ticket to the Super Bowl. And as he sat down in his seat, he was surprised to see an empty seat next to his, at the Super Bowl. He commented on it to the woman sitting on the other side the empty seat. “Oh, It was my husband’s,” the woman explained. “But he died.” “I’m so very sorry to hear that,” replied the man. “But you know, I’m surprised that a relative or friend wouldn’t jump at the chance to accompany you to the Super Bowl and take his seat.”  “Yeah It beats me,” she said. “But they were all stuck on going to his funeral.”’…

·    I am a saint!

·    I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

·    I am chosen and predestined for adoption to sonship by the Heavenly Father

·    I am accepted by God and a recipient of his grace.

·    I am redeemed and forgiven in Christ.

------------------

·    I am Christ’s Heir!

·    I am Sealed by the Holy Spirit

·    I have access to spiritual wisdom and insight in Christ by the Holy Spirit.

·    I am guaranteed resurrection!

·    I am Christ’s Representative every day!

-----------------------

Ephesians 2:1-22  As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,  2  in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.  3  All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.  4  But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,  

 

I.                            Seated With Christ

a.  I have been raised to new life in Christ and seated with him in heavenly places

Ephesians 2:5-7  made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.  6  And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,  7  in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.  

b.  The disciples wanted a place of honor.

Matthew 20:20-23  Then the mother of Zebedee's sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him.  21  "What is it you want?" he asked. She said, "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom."  22  "You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered.  23  Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father.

c.   We will be seated with Christ!

 

We are seated with Christ in Heavenly places; the word of God tells us this truth, As we come into the fullness of being seated with Christ the view from heaven changes our mindsets and is a trigger for revival in our hearts and those we speak to. Eph 2:6; For he raised us from the dead along with Christ, and we are seated with him in the heavenly realms—all because we are one with Christ Jesus. We are the carriers of His glory because of the presence of God in our lives

John14:19-20  In just a little while the world will not see me again, but you will. For I will live again, and you will, too. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Who are you?

You are seated with Christ!

 

II.                       I have been saved by grace through faith in Christ.

a.  Saved by Grace

Ephesians 2:8-9  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  9  not by works, so that no one can boast.  

She was an energetic young woman whose life was forever changed by an accident. Because her spinal cord was severed, she first struggled to survive. Forced to live her life as a quadriplegic, she nearly lost the will to live. Slowly, she achieved the impossible. She painted by holding a brush with her teeth. She produced record albums of joyful music. She married, & is now known as an encourager to countless thousands of people. Her name? Joni Eareckson Tada.  “A 2 a.m. Miracle” – Joni Eareckson Tada wrote

It was 2 a.m. and Ken, my husband was snoring softly beside me, not aware that I was biting my lip to keep from waking him up. The combination of my paralysis with middle-of-the-night insomnia always makes me feel claustrophobic. But this was different. The pain in my neck and shoulders was searing. I tried to move my head on the pillow, but was stopped short by a razor –sharp stab in the back of my neck.

“O God,” I whispered, “I need to reposition, but I haven’t the heart to wake up Ken. He only has a few hours before hi alarm goes off, yet…I cannot tolerate this pain. Please, I can’t live like this….help me?” I began to breathe deeply and recite a favorite hymn: “And I shall see Him face to face, and tell the story - Saved by Grace. And I shall see Him face to face, and tell the story - Saved by Grace.” The next thing I knew it was morning, Ken was off to work, and my girlfriend had arrived to get me up. When I told her about my rough night, she replied, “I bet you can’t wait for heaven.” Joni looked at her friend and said, “I just experienced a small piece of it.”

One of our adopted kids, David Pettigrew lost a leg in Iraq. We got word that he was struggling with his injuries.

I found an email address for Joni Erickson tada. And sent her a message regarding David and his battles. She didn’t know me from Adam but the next week she called David and they talked for over an hour. A quadriplegic encouraging a stranger who had war injuries. What was the reason? Saved by Grace.

Who Are You?                                           You are saved by Grace! You didn’t earn it! You didn’t deserve it!It was by GRACE

 

III.                 I am God's workmanship - a masterpiece and a new creation - in Christ.

a.  God’s Workmanship

b. A Masterpiece

c.   A new creation

Ephesians 2:10-12  For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  11  Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called "uncircumcised" by those who call themselves "the circumcision" (which is done in the body by human hands)—  12  remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.  

How many of you have been to a funeral? As you approach the casket you'll see numerous floral arrangements, and these floral displays use two different kinds of flowers.

First there are the bouquets of cut flowers, and there are planters. There's generally more bouquets than planters because the florist can create a more impressive splash of color than a planter can. But both of these floral arrangements have beautiful flowers and both mean a lot to the family of the deceased.

BUT NOW... wait about 6 weeks. What happens then to the cut flowers after that period of time? (They die.) What about the planters? (They usually are still alive.)

Why did the cut flowers die? They died because (unlike the planted flowers) they DIDN'T have any roots. Both sets of flowers had pretty fruits--the flowers, but the cut flowers died because they had no root. It was the root that gave the plant its life...not the fruit

But both sets of flowers were on display at the funeral because of their fruit. You'll never go to a funeral and see a bunch of stems sticking out of a planter with no flowers. The root gives the flower its life. But the fruit (the pretty flowers) give the flower its usefulness in that setting.

Now let's go back to 

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."10 "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do (what?) good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Why does verse 10 say we were saved (created in Christ Jesus)??? To do good works! But the previous verses tell us we're not saved by those good works; WE ARE SAVED TO DO GOOD WORKS.

Who are you?

You are God’s Workman designed to do Good Works!

 

2 Corinthians 5:17  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

 

IV.                  I have been brought near to God by the blood of Christ.

a.  Washed by the Blood

Ephesians 2:13-15  But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.  14  For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,  15  by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,

Matthew 26:28  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

 

 Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?

o    Refrain:
Are you washed in the blood,
In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb?
Are your garments spotless? Are they white as snow?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?

Are you walking daily by the Savior’s side? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? Do you rest each moment in the Crucified?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?

When the Bridegroom cometh will your robes be white? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Will your soul be ready for the mansions bright, And be washed in the blood of the Lamb?

Lay aside the garments that are stained with sin, And be washed in the blood of the Lamb; There’s a fountain flowing for the soul unclean, Oh, be washed in the blood of the Lamb!

Who are you?

You are washed clean by the Blood of the Lamb.

V.                       I am reconciled to God through the cross of Jesus Christ.

a.  The Cross

Ephesians 2:16-17  and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.  17  He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.  

AT JESUS’ ATONING DEATH ON THE CROSS, IT IS SAID THAT SIN WAS NULLIFIED, SINNER WAS JUSTIFIED, LAW WAS SATISFIED AND GOD WAS GLORIFIED!!!

Matthew 27:50-52  And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.  51  At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split  52  and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.

1 Corinthians 1:18-25  For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  19  For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."  20  Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?  21  For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.  22  Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,  23  but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,  24  but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.  25  For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

A man wrote… Many years ago, I got a job at a paper mill. There was an older man working there who was a very dedicate Christian. My first few weeks there they had me working with him, He was the greatest guy I’d ever known. He asks me if I was a Christian, I replied that I was. One day I let words that hurt, come rushing out of my mouth, Word that cut like a knife. I knew that those word had really hurt my friend, I walked away in shame, too stubborn to apologize. I dreaded to face my friend the next day, when I saw him next, I got up my courage and told him I was sorry for what I’d said. He simply said I don’t remember you saying anything out of the way, BUT I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU, “ARE YOU LIVING AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS”. Conviction ate me alive and I responded with words I hated to admit: NO, I’M NOT” THAT ONE INCIDENT CHANGES MY LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment