Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 

When Jonah Became Bait

 

·      Known as a disobedient prophet, Jonah, ran away instead of answering God’s call to prophesize to Nineveh.

·      Because of his disobedience, God sent a raging storm to the ship Jonah resided in.

·      The sailors cast lots to determine who was causing the tragedy, and it fell on Jonah.

·      He convinced the crew of the ship to throw him overboard to calm the storm.

·      Though they tried to spare the life of Jonah, the waves grew rougher so the men did as they were told, throwing Jonah into the sea.

·      However, God didn’t let Jonah die. Instead,  God provided a great fish to swallow him. Instead of facing death, he was in the fish’s stomach for three days and three nights before being vomited onto dry land.

An amazing story … right!

Could that happen today???

DECCAN CHRONICLE.  A Spanish fisherman who drowned in the sea is back with a very interesting story. The man who disappeared for several days after he went overboard during bad storm has return to share his survival tale.The 56-year-old fisherman Luigi Marquez claims that a whale swallowed him. According to Marquez he stayed there for three days and nights. When Marquez didn’t return home, the coastal guard tried to find him but failed to locate him and he was considered dead. “This great beast swallowed me the morning after the storm,” he told local reporters. “It is the most frightening thing I have ever lived through. Everything was pitch black and I was shivering cold. The only thing that kept me alive was the raw fish I ate and the light from my waterproof watch, that is how I kept in touch with time. And the smell, I will never forget that horrible stench of putrid decomposition. I had to wash for three days to get the odor to go away,” Luigi Marquez told reporters. (wife) “This is truly a miracle! I prayed and I prayed and I never lost faith, and the Lord has brought me back my precious Luigi,” told his wife, Penelope Marquez, to local reporters. Marquez claims that he was inside the whale for 72 hours before it flushed him out.

·      During his time in the fish’s stomach, Jonah prayed to the Lord.

·      Jonah acknowledged his sin and turned to God in repentance.

·      During his lowest low, he uttered a prayer that recognizes God’s power and glory.

At that moment, he knew that he needed salvation. And God heard his plea. 

I.                 We have the Call of God.

Jonah 1:1-2  The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai:  2  "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."

a.  Not everyone’s call is the same.

2 Peter 1:10-11  Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,  11  and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

David Moore … I remember when God called me to the ministry and I resigned my job. I was called to the Managing Director’s office, and he said, “I hear you are leaving us for the ministry?” “Yes”, I said. “Can I not persuade you to stay on with us?” “No”, I replied, a little taken aback by his suggestion. “What if we paid you more money?” I was honestly horrified; I used to respect this man, but my respect for him was sinking fast as I thought he was trying to tempt me away from God’s call. “No,” I said, “in fact they are paying me less money!” Now, he was the one who looked shocked, why would I leave a nice secure job to receive less money? Then he asked me, “Which ministry are you going to? Defence? Environment?” Now the penny dropped. He thought I was leaving to be a servant of the government, when I was in fact leaving to be the servant of God, and I’m glad to say no amount of money he offered would have changed my mind!! That is how it is when you take up the baton from Christ.

Jeremiah 1:4-7  The word of the LORD came to me, saying,  5  "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."  6  "Alas, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am too young."  7  But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am too young.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.

II.              We have the disobedience of Jonah.

Jonah 1:3  But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.

a.  God calls people in two circumstances …

b.  First, when you are LOST.

You have heard the Gospel. You may have asked some questions and considered the answers. You have sung songs to God. The sermon is preached, and we are now to the invitation. The Holy Spirit is tugging on your heart. You want to respond but you are afraid. … God is calling you to salvation…

Jesus is tenderly calling thee home— Calling today, calling today! Why from the sunshine of love wilt thou roam, Farther and farther away?

 Calling today! calling today! Jesus is calling, is tenderly calling today! Jesus is calling the weary to rest, Calling today! calling today! Bring Him thy burden and thou shalt be blest:  He will not turn thee away.

Jesus is waiting, O come to Him now! Waiting today! waiting today! Come with thy sins, at His feet lowly bow; Come, and no longer delay.

Jesus is pleading, O list to His voice! Hear Him today! hear Him today! They who believe on His name shall rejoice: Quickly arise, come away!

c.   Second, when God has a specific task for you.

d.  Jonah was called to a specific task but he ran away…

Psalm 139:7-10 Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.

Romans 8:35-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

e.  Even in our sins… God still loves us!

III.          We have the consequences of Sin.

a.  Sin always has a price that MUST be paid.

b.  Every sin has both intended and unintended consequences.

Jonah 1:4-17  Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up.  5  All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship. But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep.  6  The captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish."  7  Then the sailors said to each other, "Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity." They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah.  8  So they asked him, "Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What kind of work do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?"  9  He answered, "I am a Hebrew and I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land."  10  This terrified them and they asked, "What have you done?" (They knew he was running away from the LORD, because he had already told them so.)  11  The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, "What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?"  12  "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," he replied, "and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you."  13  Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before.  14  Then they cried out to the LORD, "Please, LORD, do not let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, LORD, have done as you pleased."  15  Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm.  16  At this the men greatly feared the LORD, and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows to him.  17  Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

c.   What was Jonah thinking when he decided to run Tarshish ?

d.  The sin was his disobedience to God.

e.  The unintended consequences were the storm and the lives of innocent men on the ship if it were to be destroyed.

f.    Unintended consequences

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death;
Galatians 6:7-8 - Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.   
Romans 5:12 - Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Isaiah 59:2 - But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Proverbs 14:12 - There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.


IV.         We have the repentance of Jonah

a.   This is where the prayer of Jonah comes into play.

b.  Jonah never intended to put other people’s lives in danger.

c.   He didn’t plan on causing a storm.

d.  He certainly didn’t plan on ending up in the stomach of a whale!

Matthew 12:40  (KJV)For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jonah 2:1-10  From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God.  2  He said: "In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry.  3  You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me.  4  I said, 'I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple.'  5  The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head.  6  To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you, LORD my God, brought my life up from the pit.  7  "When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple.  8  "Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God's love for them.  9  But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, 'Salvation comes from the LORD.'"  10  And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

e.  Sometimes we turn away from following God’s calling for us.

We are hindered by our hesitations, fears, doubts, and worries. It weakens our faith and spirit. But we can cry out to God for help as we put our hope and trust in Him.

f.    Being a forgiving God, despite what we did, God still hears our cries.

g.  Even in our sinfulness, our prayers are being heard by God.

h.  His mercy flows out readily to those who see God as their only hope.

i.     In Him and Him alone, we can find our salvation.

God is sovereign over our lives. He will use our lives and salvation for a purpose, and that is to continue to reach out for the next generations, to advance his kingdom.

 

j.     Jonah’s prayer teaches us that even when we fall short before God, He will always be there to redeem us.

k.  We can surrender our lives to Him and commit to following our callings.

No comments:

Post a Comment