Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 

What We Do By Faith

I heard someone give an illustration once about a wooden well bucket he came upon. He thought it was useless at first, because it had been sitting next to a barn in the sun, unused for a long time. He could see daylight between the wooden slats of the bucket. Certainly, this thing would never hold water again. But an older man with him tied the bucket to the well rope and let it drop into the water below. In a couple of days they came back and turned the crank to draw the bucket back up. It was full of clear, cool well water and was not leaking a drop. The water had re-hydrated the wooden slats until they fit together as originally designed, and the bucket was useful again.

Faith is that intangible that rehydrates the slats of our Christian Bucket. It is not the things that will happen in our futures that define us. It rains on the just and the unjust alike. But it is how we face the trials that come our way. It is who we lean on to get through the storms that define us. Faith is trusting that God will walk with us as we face those trials. I don’t have faith that God will or will not cure my diabetes.  But I know for a fact that He has walked with me as I have daily battled this terrible disease. I don’t have faith that God will prevent any bad thing from afflicting me. But I have bullet proof faith that God will walk with me through anything that comes.

It is by faith that ….

Matthew 8:5-13  When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.  6  "Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly."  7  Jesus said to him, "Shall I come and heal him?"  8  The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.  9  For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."  10  When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.  11  I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.  12  But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."  13  Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would." And his servant was healed at that moment.

 

I.                 We Live By Faith

Galatians 2:20  I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.(NIV)

a.  Jesus died for me. My name was on His mind as he defeated sin and the grave on that cross at Calvary.

b.  Not only that but YOU were on Jesus mind as He defeated sin and the grave for YOU!

"Jesus On My Mind" (B.J.Thomas)

I see dark clouds coming my way

I know they're gonna try to rain on me

They're almost here but I must say

I'm just as happy as can be

Just because I've got Jesus on my mind

Just because I've got Jesus on my mind

The situation might look so awful grim

But that's when I just stop and get my mind on Him. Before you know it

Everything's just fine because I've got Jesus on my mind

I see a giant right in my path

I know he's gonna try to do me in

He's mighty big. But I must say

I'm not the least bit afraid of him

Just because I've got Jesus on my mind

Just because I've got Jesus on my mind

The situation might look so awful grim

But that's when I just stop and get my mind on Him. Before you know it

Everything's just fine

Just because I've got Jesus on my mind

… We live by Faith

 

II.              We Stand By Faith

2 Corinthians 1:24  Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm. (NIV)

To be worth anything, character must be capable of standing firm upon its feet in the world of daily work, temptation and trial; and able to bear the wear and tear of actual life. Cloistered virtues do not count for much."

In VBS this week we learned that the taller the building, the stronger the foundation!

 

Matthew 7:24-27  "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  25  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  26  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  27  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

a.  Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to simply STAND and trust God to be God!

The wise man built his house on a firm foundation and it withstood the storm … the foolish man built his house on the sand, the weak foundation and the storms of life washed it away!

We LIVE by Faith

We STAND by Faith

 

III.          We Walk By Faith

2 Corinthians 5:7  For we walk by faith, not by sight:( KJV)

a.  We DO NOT know what the future holds.

The day before I went to the hospital for open heart surgery I preached a sermon titled … “I don’t know what the future holds but I know WHO holds my future”

It goes back to Paul’s question… I don’t know which is better to go be with the Lord in Heaven or stay and point others toward Heaven!

 

We LIVE by Faith

We STAND by Faith

We Walk By Faith

 

IV.         We Endure By Faith

 

Hebrews 11:24-27  By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter.  25  He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.  26  He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.  27  By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.

 

Paul COMPLAINED TO THE Lord about his thorn in the flesh. God said, “My grace is sufficient for you.

 

We LIVE by Faith

We STAND by Faith

We Walk By Faith

We Endure By Faith

 

V.             We Subdue By Faith

GOD "SUBDUES" OUR SINS The word "subdue" is such a powerful word. In the Hebrew, it is the word "kabash" (kaw-bash) meaning to "tread down, disregard, conquer, bring into subjection". The Hebrew word for "cast" is "shalak" (shaw-lak) which means "to hurl, to throw away". What an amazing assurance! When we ask God to forgive us, He takes whatever sin, whatever iniquity, we are bringing with us to present before him, He takes those things, conquers them for us and brings them into subjection, then He throws them away into the depths of the sea never to remember them anymore! Amen somebody! Now that is something to get up and shout about! God throws our sins away as trash! So stop plucking! Stop trash-picking! Stop dumpster-diving! Stop going back to the trash!

Hebrews 11:28-34  By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.  29  By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.  30  By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the army had marched around them for seven days.  31  By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.  32  And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets,  33  who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions,  

34  quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies.

 

The HEROES of FAITH listed in Hebrews Chapter 11 all won their victories by FAITH.

The toughest battles that we all fight is the battle of who sits on the throne of our lives. Who is the Lord of your life?

 

We LIVE by Faith

We STAND by Faith

We Walk By Faith

We Endure By Faith

We Subdue By Faith

 

VI.         We Fight By Faith

1 Timothy 6:12  Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

A young man enlisted, and was sent to his regiment. The first night he was in the barracks with about fifteen other young men, who passed the time playing cards and gambling. Before retiring, he fell on his knees and prayed, and they began to curse him and jeer at him and throw boots at him. So it went on the next night and the next, and finally the young man went and told the chaplain what had taken place, and asked what he should do. "Well," said the chaplain, "you are not at home now, and the other men have just as much right to the barracks as you have. It makes them mad to hear you pray, and the Lord will hear you just as well if you say your prayers in bed and don't provoke them." For weeks after the chaplain did not see the young man again, but one day he met him, and asked, "By the way, did you take my advice?" "I did, for two or three nights." "How did it work?" "Well," said the young man, "I felt like a whipped hound and the third night I got out of bed, knelt down and prayed." "Well," asked the chaplain, "How did that work?" The young soldier answered: "We have a prayer meeting there now every night, and three have been converted, and we are praying for the rest." Oh, friends, I am so tired of weak Christianity. Let us be out and out for Christ; let us give no uncertain sound. If the world wants to call us fools, let them to it. It is only a little while; the crowning day is coming. Thank God for the privilege we have of confessing Christ. 

a.  I don’t believe that today’s church has any resemblance to the church that Christ died for.

b.  We don’t fight battles anymore… these days the church runs from conflict with the world, with Satan and his forces.

c.   Here is the picture of who God expects us to be.

1 Peter 5:7-10  Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.  8  Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  9  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.  10  And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

d.  Does that describe us? For us suffering is when the air conditioning doesn’t work … or when there is only one type of Banana Pudding on the desert table at the covered Dish meal!

 

We LIVE by Faith

We STAND by Faith

We Walk By Faith

We Endure By Faith

We Subdue By Faith

We Fight By Faith

 

VII.      We Overcome By Faith

1 John 5:4  for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. (NIV)

What do the overcomers (the ones who defy gravity) of this world get according to Scripture?

Revelation 2:7: He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

b. Revelation 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

c. Revelation 2:17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

d. Revelation 2:26 To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations—

e. Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

f. Revelation 3:12 Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.

g. Revelation 3:21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

h. Revelation 21:7 He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment