Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 

Psa 138:1  Of David. I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; before the "gods" I will sing your praise. 2  I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your unfailing love and your faithfulness, for you have so exalted your solemn decree that it surpasses your fame. 3  When I called, you answered me; you greatly emboldened me. 4  May all the kings of the earth praise you, LORD, when they hear what you have decreed. 5  May they sing of the ways of the LORD, for the glory of the LORD is great. 6  Though the LORD is exalted, he looks kindly on the lowly; though lofty, he sees them from afar. 7  Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me. 8  The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever-- do not abandon the works of your hands.

 Who Are You?

There was a man that got real sick of working in New York City. One day, he quit his job, packed up his wife and kiddies, and came to Texas to become a farmer. He bought a big parcel of land with a grand old barn and some fields just ready to plow and plant. Now, being a city slicker, the poor fellow didn't know where to start with that there farm. His wife suggested that they get a mule to pull the plow for them, and the yankee thought this was as splendid idea. He set off down the road to visit their neighbor and ask him where he could buy a mule. Well, that neighbor  sized up his new neighbor as a Yankee in about five seconds and decided to have a bit of fun with him. "Well, you could advertise for a mule in the local paper," the neighbor said. "But if you want to do it the Texan way, well then you should get yourself a mule egg and hatch your own. That way you can train the mule up from birth to do exactly as you want." The greenhorn's eyes got real wide. "I didn't know mules hatched from eggs," he said excitedly. "Where do I get one?" …"It just so happens I have one mule egg left from the last batch I raised," the neighbor said. He went into the shed and came out with a round, Honeydew melon. The Yankee's eyes lit up."How much do I owe you?" he asked his neighbor."That'll be a dollar. And mind you, you've got to sit on the mule egg night and day for a week before it will hatch," the neighbor said, accepting the yankee’s money and handing over the melon. Well, the yankee ran all the way home and showed the mule egg to his wife and kiddies. Everyone was thrilled with his purchase, and they all took turns sitting on the coconut, waiting for it to hatch. They waited one week. Then they waited two. By the third week, everyone's bottoms were sore from sitting on the hard coconut, and still there was no sign of a mule. "It must be a bad egg," the wife said at last. "Better throw it out and see if our neighbor will give us our money back." As the disappointed family watched, the Yankee took the melon outside and pitched it into the bushes. All at once, a giant jackrabbit burst out of the tall grass next to the bushes and hopped away lickety-split. "It's the baby mule!" shouted one of the kiddies. "Catch it, Pa! Catch it." Well, the greenhorn ran after that long-eared critter as fast as he could go, shouting: "I'm your momma, baby mule! Please come back!" But he was no match for that jackrabbit. It darted here and there; it slithered hither and yon; and finally, it slid down a hole in the ground and disappeared. The greenhorn fell to the ground and lay panting in exhaustion. A few moments later, his wife and kids caught up with him and pulled him to his feet. "Where's our mule?" asked his wife."The dad-blame thing got away," said the Yankee. "And I'm not sorry it did. That's the speediest mule I ever laid eyes on, and I don't think I can  plow that fast!"

 

1 Peter2:9-10  But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Sheila Walsh is a Christian singer, writer, and former host of The 700 Club. She describes how her disconnected spirituality literally hit a wall. "One morning I was sitting on national television with my nice suit and inflatable hairdo and that night I was in the locked ward of a psychiatric hospital. The very first day in the hospital, the psychiatrist asked me, "Who are you?"
"I'm the co-host of The 700 Club," replied Sheila."That is not what I mean," he said."I'm a writer. I'm a singer.""That is what you do. Who are you?" "I don't have a clue." And he replied, "Now that's why you're here."
Sheila goes on: "I measured myself by what other people thought of me. That was slowly killing me. Before I entered the hospital, some of the 700 Club staff said to me, 'Don't do this. You will never regain any kind of platform. If people know you were in a mental institution and on medication, it's over.' I said, 'You know what? It's over anyway. So I can't think about that.'""I really thought I had lost everything. My house. My salary. My job. Everything. But I found my life. I discovered at the lowest moment of my life that everything that was true about me, God knew."

 

I.                 I’ll tell you who God’s Word says you are?

Mathew 5:13-16  "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. 14  "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

 

a.  A Chosen People

                                                           i.      The Salt of the Earth

                                                        ii.      Destined to flavor the world

I am a bit of an oddity… I lived in New Mexico for over 20 years. If you go into a Mexican restaurant and order enchiladas or a Burrito … they will ask you if you want Red or Green …. That’s it … Do you want Red or Green? …. They are talking about Red or Green Chile … I don’t like green Chile! I can taste the least little bit of green Chile in my food … Everything I eat that has Green Chile in it tastes like Green Chile and nothing else!

 

We are to be the Salt of the Earth. We are to flavor society! We cannot walk around with a 20 pound block of salty and hit everyone that disagrees with us over the head with it! … Salt is to be sprinkled lightly on our food so that it will flavor the food.

 

One thing of note … if you eat a pepper and it is burning your mouth, a little bit of salt will soothe the burning sensation.

 

We are to be salt to the world.

 

b.  A Royal Priesthood

John_13:34  "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

 

                                                           i.      We are our own priest

                                                        ii.      The job of the priest is to minister to the people.

c.   A Holy Nation

John_14:21  Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."

 

                                                           i.      We are WASHED CLEAN

                                                        ii.      We are to desire to remain clean.

 

d.  God’s Special Possession

                                                           i.      Prized posession

When I was in the 4th grade we lived in San Antonio. For Christmas that year I got my first wristwatch. I was so proud of that watch. I would polish it and sit and watch the second hand go round and round … (simple minds are simply amused) When we went back to school after the holidays we got notice that school pictures would be on Friday of that week. When we got our class picture back … there I am … sitting in the front row showing off my new watch to the camera. … IT WAS MY PRIZED POSESSION.

……………..

II.              So, Why are you who you are?

Mark_10:21  Jesus looked at him and loved him.

John_3:16  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

 

a.  One reason

                                                           i.      You are who you are so that you may declare praises of Him

John_3:19  This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

 

b.  Called you out of the Darkness into his Wonderful Light

 

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me … I once was lost but now I’m found was blind but now I see.

 

III.           What is the value of who we are?

John_15:9  "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.

 

a.  Salvation

                                                           i.      Once you were not a people of God

                                                        ii.      Once you had not received mercy

Romans_8:37  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

b.  Now you have received mercy.

 

·      Salvation is simply coming to the place where you realize that you have broken God’s laws.

·      Understanding that our SIN separates us from God who loves us.

·      That God sent His son Jesus to pay the penalty of death in our place.

·      In gratitude we ask God to forgive our sins and commit ourselves to live by His Word and follow Him!

In just a few moments, we will have a time of invitation. We will invite you to come and take me by the hand and say “I want Jesus!” I expect that some that are here today will make that decision!

 

IV.         How should we respond to this Mercy?

a.  Scripture tells us …

 

2 Thesolonians_2:13  But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

Galations_2:20  I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Ephesians_5:1  Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children

Ephesians_5:2  and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Colosians_3:12  Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

 

There he stood, in the midst of the Golden Corral restaurant, with Thousand Island dressing dripping from his hair, over his glasses, down his face, all over his jacket, pants, & shoes. And I’m not talking about a little bit of Thousand Island dressing, I’m talking about 2 gallons of it! What had happened was that a waitress carrying a 2-gallon container of Thousand Island dressing for the salad bar had paused for just a second while coming out of the swinging doors of the kitchen, & the doors had caught her & knocked her forward, launching 2 gallons of dressing all over this guy. Well, he went ballistic! He started shouting & cursing at her. “You’re so stupid! I can’t believe you could do such a stupid, stupid thing. This is a brand new suit & it cost me $300.” His wife chimed in, “Yeah, you’ve ruined my husband’s $300 suit, & it’s the first time he’s had a chance to wear it.” He screamed, “I want to see the manager!” 
Thoroughly shaken, the waitress went to get the manager, & the manager came out.
Now picture this – here’s a guy with 2 gallons of Thousand Island dressing dripping from him, & the manager asks, “Is there a problem?” The guy replies, “Is there a problem? She’s ruined my $300 suit. It’s brand new, & I want a new suit!” The manager says, “We’ll be glad to get your suit cleaned. Accidents do happen, & we’re really sorry about this.”
“No! No!”
he said. “I don’t want my suit cleaned. I want a brand new suit, & I demand a check for $300 right here & now.” Well, to avoid a bigger scene, the manger goes back into his office, writes out a check for $300 & brings it to him. And justice is served. Tragically, this true story happened at noon on a Sunday.

 

Now, why would someone be wearing a brand new suit on Sunday?

 

Do you suppose he had been to church.

 

Do you suppose that he had just heard a sermon on “Love your neighbor as yourself,” or “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” or “Go the second mile”?

Who are You?

No comments:

Post a Comment