Tuesday, October 11, 2022

 

The Most Fruitful Statement

in the Bible!

Little girl sitting in Grandfather’s lap. She would reach up and feel the face of of her grandfather and then she would feel her own face. Finally she asked, “Pawpaw, you said God made you , didn’t you?” He replied, “Yes!” She asked , “and you said God made me, didn’t you?” Again he answered , “Yes” One more time she felt of his face then her own. She said, “Well God sure is doing better work these days, isn’t He?”

It is easier to judge others than to judge ourselves. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being you never consider the spiritual ramifications of the decisions you make and 10 being you approach every decision with prayer seeking God’s guidance. How would you rate the strength of your spiritual life?

In a single verse, Paul sums up his spiritual life.

As we consider this verse, let us reflect on our own lives and determine where we stand in light of this statement by Paul.

Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

I.                 THERE ARE DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

a.  “For to me…”

b.  Each of us must make the decision for ourselves.

c.   Only YOU can determine your response to this question.

d.  Your parents can’t answer for you… nor your spouse nor your pastor… nor anyone else!

Joshua:

Joshua 24:15 “If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

Who will you choose to follow?... Jehovah; the Chaldaean gods worshipped by their ancestors;... the gods of the Egyptians; or …the gods of the Amorites among whom they dwelt.

Make your choice between these, said Joshua, if you are dissatisfied With Jehovah. But could there be any reasonable choice between these gods and Jehovah?but for me and my house…”

Jesus:

John 14:31 “but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me…”

Philippians 2:5-8 “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”

Paul:

e.  Saul trying to earn his way to Heaven through works …

f.    Paul’s pedigree is found in Philippians 3:4-9 

g.  Each person must decide to receive Christ as their Savior!

John 3:36 “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

h.  Eternal life is through faith in Christ.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

i.     But wait there is more!

j.     After accepting Christ, a Christian must also decide to live for Christ.

k.  This is where “(sin) synthetic polyester” Christians mess up!

l.     Christ is to be the center of all we are and all we hope to be.

m.                         Polyester Christians look like the real thing but they have no substance, no depth to their Christian Walk. The first flame of temptation or trial comes their way and they go up in a bright flash of light!

Romans 12:1-2 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

When the explorer, Cortez, landed in Mexico with his 500 men, he did a wise thing; he burned the ships. His men realized that they must be committed to staying and to succeeding here because there was no turning back. Too many people try to receive Christ as “Fire Insurance” to be safe from Hell. But they never really make Christ the Lord of their lives!

II.              THERE IS A DENIAL TO BE MADE

Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

a.  Just as Jesus denied His equality to God and humbled Himself to obedience even to death, to give life to all who would believe, we must deny our own selves and let Christ live through us.

Luke 9:23-24 And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.

John 12:24-25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. “He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.

Galatians 2:20a “I have been crucified with Christ…

b.  The way this is written indicates the present effect of a past action:

c.   “I was crucified with Christ [at the time he was crucified] with the present result that I am now still crucified.”

d.  …and it is no longer I who live…lit. “and I live no more.”

e.  The “I” here is the old man, Paul’s old ego; such had been crucified with Christ.

f.    …but Christ lives in me…in the place of Paul’s old life, Christ lives in Paul.

g.  Paul was saying, “it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me” (RSV).

WE MUST DENY THOSE THINGS THAT SOCIETY WANTS TO DO THAT ARE COUNTER TO WHAT WE BELIEVE AS CHRISTIANS!

New American Commentary, … "To deny oneself is not to do without something or even many things. It is not asceticism, nor self-rejection or self-hatred, nor is it even the disowning of particular sins. It is to renounce the self as the dominant element in life. It is to replace the self with God-in-Christ as the object of affections. It is to place the divine will before self-will".

 

III.          THERE IS DEVOTION TO BE MADE

Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

a.  My life is to be devoted to Christ, 

b.  Galatians 2:20b “…and the life which I now live

c.   the Christian life,

d.  now lived by the new “I,” the new regenerated self.

e.  the flesh…referring to his human existence or to his body.

f.    I live by faith in the Son of God...i.e., Paul lived by Christ’s life and by the faith Christ gave him.

g.  who loved me and gave Himself up [to death] for me [on my behalf]…referring to Christ’s death on the cross.

h.  The love which motivated that giving is the link which united Paul with Christ.

i.     The death of Jesus was not merely an act of violence, or an accident which took place in history, but rather self-sacrifice on behalf of all sinners.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 “For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.”

Mark 10:45 “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

We make this choice because of what Jesus did for us on the cross!

Philippians2:3-5 “Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,”

Romans 12:1 “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship”

Matthew 5:16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”

Scripture says they "devoted themselves" it means they were steadfast or single minded in purpose or desire. They wanted it and they were going after it, so to speak.

In 2008 Sanya Richards-Ross competed in the 400 Meter in Beijing. She started the race strong and built a substantial lead before locking up on the home stretch. She finished third for the Bronze. This year she competed and won the gold medal in the 400 Meter in London with a time of 49.55 seconds. Four years, Sanya Richards-Ross waited. Four years she waited with the hunger pangs of unfinished business and the sense of an uncompleted mission. When they introduced her before the 400 meters in London, she blew a kiss to the camera, went out and got the gold medal she had worked tirelessly for since Beijing.

Just as Sanya Richards-Ross was devoted to her pursuit of Olympic Gold... those early Christians modeled devotion to Christ and the process of becoming Christian. They were intentional and disciplined about the process of becoming devoted followers of Jesus Christ.

IV.         THERE IS DEDICATION TO BE MADE

Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

a.  To say “For to me to live is Christ,” takes dedicated practice.

Philippians 4:9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

b.  I must dedicate myself to prayer.

I Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

c.   I must dedicate myself to Bible reading and study.

Hebrews 5:14 “But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.”

d.  I must dedicate myself to walking in the Spirit.

Revelation 22:11b “…and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.”

Colossians 1:10-13 “…so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.”

e.  As I practice, I must depend on the Lord’s help.

Romans 15:18a “For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me…”

John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

I remember as a child living in San Antonio. Our parents were looking to buy a house. As a family we went house hunting. I remember us looking at a house that the front yard was landscaped. As part of the landscape there was a small tree (bush) that had oranges on it. In making the decision to purchase that house our parents asked what we thought. I thought it would be great because I wanted oranges from the orange tree. … After we moved in I found out that the oranges were plastic and not real. … It was an ornamental orange tree. (It never would produce fruit) … some “Christians” are just ornamental … they never produce fruit.

It takes dedication to produce fruit!

V.             THERE IS DESTINY AHEAD

Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

 

“...and to die is gain.” See Philippians 1:23.

a.  Paul looked forward to departing and being with Christ.

b.  We have that same hope of being with Him when this life is over.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

No comments:

Post a Comment