Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reservations Required

Three women die and all three reach Heaven at the same time. There they meet St. Peter. He tells them he has some other important business to transact and asks them to wait outside. Finally he returns and calls the first woman into his office. He apologizes for making her wait so long. "Oh, I don't mind at all," the woman says. "I'm so thrilled just to be here in Heaven." St. Peter is delighted by her attitude. "Well, then, if you can just answer one question for me, we can finish processing your papers. Now tell me, how do you spell `God'?" The woman spells it for him, then she goes on into the celestial realm. St. Peter calls in the next woman and also apologizes to her for making her wait. "It will be worth it, I'm sure," she answers. "I am willing to wait one thousand years if necessary in order to see God face to face." Peter is very pleased. He insists, though, on asking her one more question for the Records. "Tell me, dear lady, how do you spell `God'?" The woman spells it perfectly, then enters the Pearly Gates. Finally, St. Peter calls in the third woman. He also apologizes to her, but she refuses to accept his apology. "It was quite rude," she says angrily. “All my life on earth I had to wait in lines. Wait at the checkout counter, wait at the bus stop, wait for the kids to get home from school, wait for my coffee break. And now you expect me to wait to get into Heaven? Well, I just won't stand for it!" St. Peter said, "I'm so sorry. If you'll just answer
one more question for our records, then you can go on in. Tell me, how do you spell Czechoslovakia'?"


2 Tim. 4:6-8 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. [7] I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. [8] Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.


Question: DO YOU WANT TO SPEND ETERNITY IN HEAVEN?


"In January 2000, church leaders in Charlotte, North Carolina, invited, Billy Graham, to a luncheon in his honor. "After wonderful things were said about him, The aged Dr. Graham stepped to the rostrum, looked at the crowd, and said, "I’m reminded today of Albert Einstein, the great physicist. "Einstein was once traveling from Princeton on a train when the conductor came down the aisle, punching the tickets of every passenger. When he came to Einstein, Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He couldn’t find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets. It wasn’t there, so he looked in his briefcase but couldn’t find it. Then he looked in the seat beside him. He still couldn’t find it. "The conductor said, "Dr. Einstein, I know who you are. We all know who you are. I’m sure you bought a ticket. Don’t worry about it." Einstein nodded appreciatively. The conductor continued down the aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to move to the next car, he turned around and saw the great physicist down on his hands and knees looking under his seat for his ticket. "The conductor rushed back and said, "Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don’t worry, I know who you are. No problem. You don’t need a ticket. I’m sure you bought one." Einstein looked at him and said, "Young man, I too, know who I am. What I don’t know is where I’m going.’" "Having said that, Billy Graham continued, "See the suit I’m wearing? It’s a brand new suit. I went out and bought this suit for this luncheon and one more occasion. "You know what that occasion is? This is the suit in which I’ll be buried. But when you hear I’m dead, I don’t want you to immediately remember the suit I’m wearing. I want you to remember this: I not only know who I am…I also know where I’m going!"


There are only two categories of people in the world:
…sinners in need of the Savior
... or sinners saved by the grace of God!


I.          It is important to know who we are…

a. Sinners in need of the Savior:

Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Ezekiel 18:4b “The soul who sins is the one who will die.”

Matt 9:13 For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners

Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners , Christ died for us.

Every one of us is nothing more than a sinner in need of a Savior.


Man who would not admit he had sinned.


II.       IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHERE WE’RE GOING!

a. We are Sinners saved by grace:


When Billy Graham was driving through a small southern town, he was stopped by a policeman and charged with speeding. Graham admitted his guilt, but was told by the officer that he would have to appear in court. The judge asked, "Guilty, or not guilty?" When Graham pleaded guilty, the judge replied, "That'll be ten dollars -- a dollar for every mile you went over the limit." Suddenly the judge recognized the famous minister. "You have violated the law," he said. "The fine must be paid -- but I am going to pay it for you." He took a ten dollar bill from his own wallet, attached it to the ticket, and then took Graham out and bought him a steak dinner! "That," said Billy Graham, "is how God treats repentant sinners!"


G - God's
R - Riches
A - At
C - Christ's
E – Expense


Romans. 10:12-13 “For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.”

Romans 3:24 “…being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus.”

b. It is important to know that we CAN know.

c. Hebrews 9:27 “it is appointed unto men to die once, but after this the judgment”

d. It must be terrible to live every day knowing that and not knowing where you will spend your eternity.

e. 2 Timothy 1:12 “For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.”.

f.   Later in the course of that same letter to Timothy, Paul wrote,

g. 2 Timothy 4:6-8 “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”


III.    It is important to know that there is a Hell to escape:


a. Sinners seeking salvation!


Author C. S. Lewis makes Screwtape say, "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."


In the light of God’s Word, it is ridiculous for a Christian to deny the existence of a literal hell.


Matthew 13:49-50 “So it will be at the close and consummation of the age. The angels will go forth and separate the wicked from the righteous (those who are upright and in right standing with God) and cast them [the wicked] into the furnace of fire; there will be weeping and wailing and grinding of teeth.”


A preacher was describing the events of Judgment Day and, of course, he used Biblical phraseology whenever he could. "Oh, my friends," he intoned, "imagine the suffering of the sinners as they find themselves cast into the outer darkness, removed from the presence of the Lord and given to eternal flames. My friends, at such a time there will be weeping, wailing and a great gnashing of teeth!" At this point, one of the elders of the congregation interrupted to say, "But Reverend, what if one of those hopeless sinners has no teeth?" The preacher crashed his fist on the pulpit, "My friends, the Lord is not put out by details. Rest assured...teeth will be provided!"


Preach on Meek and lowly Jesus


IV.    It is important to know that there is a Heaven to be gained!


a. Saints assured of a final destination


Some years ago, radio evangelist, Charles E.  Fuller, announced that he would speak the following Sunday on "Heaven." It was to be broadcast on radio. During that week he received a letter from an elderly gentleman who was very ill.  Here is part of that letter: "Next Sunday you are to talk about 'Heaven.'  I am interested in that land because I have held a clear title to a bit of property there for over 55 years.  I did not buy it.  It was given to me without money and without price.  But the donor purchased it for me at a tremendous sacrifice. I am not holding it for speculation since the title is non-transferable.  It is not a vacant lot. For more than a half-century I have been sending material out of which the greatest architect and builder of the universe has been building a home for me, which will never need to be repaired because it will suit me perfectly, individually, and will never grow old. Termites can never undermine its foundation for it rests upon the Rock of Ages.  Fire cannot destroy it. Floods cannot wash it away. No locks or bolts will ever be placed upon its doors, for no vicious person can ever enter that land where my dwelling stands, now almost completed and ready for me to enter it and abide in peace eternally without fear of being ejected. My friend has stuck by me through thick and thin since we first met and became acquainted 55 years ago.  I hold His promise in printed form, never to forsake nor to leave me alone.  He will be with me as I walk through the valley of shadows, and I shall not lose my way when He is with me. …. I hope to hear your sermon on "Heaven" next Sunday from my home, but I have no assurance that I shall be able to do so.  My ticket to heaven has no date marked for the journey...no return coupon...and no permit for baggage. Yes, I am ready to go and may not be here while you are talking next Sunday, but I shall meet you there some day."
….

A rich man showed a preacher around his estate.  Pointing to the north, the man said, "As far as you can see, I own."  Then pointing to the east, then the south, then the west, he repeated, "As far as you can see, I own." It was the preacher's turn.  Pointing skyward, he asked "How much do you own up there?"


John 14::2 “I go to prepare a place for you.”

I Corinthians 2:9"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.” NIV


When you breathe your last breath, your eternal destiny is forever determined. NOT BY RIGHTS OR WRONGS COMMITTED … BUT BY FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST!


One night in a church service a young woman felt the tug of God at her heart. She responded to God's call and accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior. The young woman had a very rough past, involving alcohol, drugs, and prostitution. But, the change in her was evident. As time went on she became a faithful member of the church. She eventually became involved in the ministry, teaching young children. It was not very long until this faithful young woman had caught the eye and heart of the pastor's son. The relationship grew and they began to make wedding plans. This is when the problems began. You see, about one half of the church did not think that a woman with a past such as hers was suitable for a pastor's son. The church began to argue and fight about the matter. So they decided to have a meeting. As the people made their arguments and tensions increased, the meeting was getting completely out of hand. The young woman became very upset about all the things being brought up about her past. As she began to cry the pastor's son stood to speak. He could not bear the pain it was causing his wife to be. He began to speak and his statement was this: "My fiancee's past is not what is on trial here. What you are questioning is the ability of the blood of Jesus to wash away sin. Today you have put the blood of Jesus on trial. So, does it wash away sin or not?"
The whole church began to weep as they realized that they had been slandering the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

If the blood of Jesus does not cleanse the other person completely then it cannot cleanse us completely.

What can wash away my sins?

Nothing but the blood of Jesus! End of case!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment